Sunday, January 10, 2010

Psalm 94 - Follow the Leader

It has been some time since I posted a blog. I have battled between fulfilling my "commitment" to post a psalm-a-day and taking time to listen. I don't want to be guilty of posting just to fill up space but do so when I feel there is something to say. I must admit that for some time now I have been in a state of flux when considering what I should post.

I am committed to finishing the task of reading through the book of Psalm and focusing on how I can apply each chapter to my life --

In today's chapter the psalmist is asking God to do something about the "bad leaders" of the day. I am not going to expound on whom the "bad leaders" may be for each of us but I am sure that we all can identify with being poorly led at some point. The psalmist begins by talking to God ABOUT the poor leadership and continues by talking directly to the leaders to assure them (in the words of my mother) that their "sins will find you out" :


8 Take heed, you senseless ones among the people;
you fools, when will you become wise?

9 Does he who implanted the ear not hear?

Does he who formed the eye not see?

10 Does he who disciplines nations not punish?

Does he who teaches man lack knowledge?

11 The LORD knows the thoughts of man;

he knows that they are futile.


We recently began a Beth Moore in-depth study of the book of Daniel where she compares the culture of Babylon to western culture. I find it interesting that this psalm was most likely written about the same time as the book of Daniel is referring.... Judah is being exiled to Babylon. The leadership has led poorly and opened the nation up to vulnerability and caused them to be taken captive and led to a foreign godless land.

In keeping with the study, it came to mind that in like manner, we are being led astray. We are becoming more and more vulnerable to being taken captive by a culture that encourages us to satisfy self above all else. Our culture encourages us to compromise our values and beliefs to "fit in". It is a tough balance between living IN this world and not allowing ourselves to be totally consumed BY it.

If we allow the culture to indoctrinate our minds, we can easily become culturally relevant without ever being spiritually relevant.


Is it possible?? Can I be BOTH culturally AND spiritually relevant??

It is so easy to slip comfortably into the pattern of the "world"...
To look and sound just like the world
To be influenced by and guided by the latest and greatest fad or philosophy --
How DO I live IN this world and not become consumed BY it?

Whose lead am I following?

No comments:

Post a Comment