Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Psalm 97 - I Exalt Thee

My Sunday School class has been studying the book of Daniel using Beth Moore's in-depth Bible Study called:
Daniel - Living Lives of Integrity

The focus of the study is to have us examine our own "Babylons"

Just a quick update if you are not familiar with the story:
Daniel and three of his friends are taken captive and moved to Babylon. Babylon is a booming and exciting cultural center with much to offer in the way of lavish enticements (the proverbial wine, women, and song). Daniel and his friends are continually offered the opportunity to sacrifice their belief system to submerge themselves in the lavish refinements of their new surroundings and for the opportunity for self-promotion and power.

Babylon offers the opportunity to worship a myriad of gods focusing on satisfying the flesh, but the book reveals the commitment of the four men to remain true to their faith and their God.

As I read the chapter-- I thought of our studies in Daniel. This world offers all sorts of enticements that we can place in a position of priority and that we can literally begin to worship as our "god":


Career/Wealth


Self-image/Beauty

Social Standing/Elitism

Self-Satisfaction/Entertainment



A portion of Chapter97 reads:

7 All who worship images are put to shame, those who boast in idols—

worship him, all you gods!

>>>

9 For you, O LORD, are the Most High over all the earth;

you are exalted far above all gods.


10 Let those who love the LORD hate evil,

for he guards the lives of his faithful ones

and delivers them from the hand of the wicked.


11 Light is shed upon the righteous

and joy on the upright in heart.


12 Rejoice in the LORD, you who are righteous,

and praise his holy name.


As I read today's psalm, the words to a familiar praise song jump off the page at me. At first I think it too redundant to post yet another song lyric; but, then I think, that is EXACTLY what the book of Psalm is ..... a song book - A collection of praise hymns.


So, if you have a moment, take the opportunity to sit and reflect on the things that we continually stress over that are actually things that exalt "self" over the God of all creation.

9 For you, O LORD, are the Most High over all the earth;
you are exalted far above all gods.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks Pam for getting back to the psalms. I enjoy & share your reflections...and they are usually just what I need to hear!

    ReplyDelete