Saturday, March 6, 2010

Psalm 101 - A Far Cry From Blameless

1 I will sing of your love and justice;
to you, O LORD, I will sing praise.

To me, this is the easy part of this psalm to agree with. I love singing and especially singing praise songs but if you read the rest of the psalm it begins to raise questions.

CAN I do what this says?
DO these words really describe me?

READ ON:

I will be careful to lead a blameless life—
when will you come to me?
I will walk in my house
with blameless heart.

3 I will set before my eyes
no vile thing.
The deeds of faithless men I hate;
they will not cling to me.


4 Men of perverse heart shall be far from me;
I will have nothing to do with evil.


5 Whoever slanders his neighbor in secret,
him will I put to silence;
whoever has haughty eyes and a proud heart,
him will I not endure.


6 My eyes will be on the faithful in the land,
that they may dwell with me;
he whose walk is blameless
will minister to me.


7 No one who practices deceit
will dwell in my house;
no one who speaks falsely
will stand in my presence.


8 Every morning I will put to silence
all the wicked in the land;
I will cut off every evildoer
from the city of the LORD.


It makes me think of Paul's words in Romans 7:

....18)I have a desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do;

no, the evil I do not want to do -- this I keep on doing.

Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I that do it,but it is sin living in me that does it.


NO! - I am far from perfect and there is NOTHING I can "DO" that will make me worthy of God's grace. I may not always be blameless and humble but, thankfully, when God looks at me, he sees His blameless, sinless Son, Jesus Christ.

Because of this grace, I will continue to sing His praise!!


No comments:

Post a Comment