Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Psalm 109 - Timing

 Ever once in a while there are those moments when God reveals himself in a way that makes you say,
"Oh yeah, you were here all along, huh?"

Like the cell phone commercial, God is trying to interject into this whirlwind we call 'life' with an occasional: 

"  Can you hear me now?"

I had one of those experiences last week with chapter 109 of Psalm.  Sometimes, God's timing can't help but put a smile on your face.

A friend was confronted with an issue of being falsely accused by an overzealous, under-professional professor.  They were very upset by the accusation and distraught on how to defend their character and integrity.  On THE day, when the decision had been made to confront the professor directly, I get up and once again read through Psalm 109.  I had read it several times thinking about what I should blog about its words ~

This day,  the words were exactly what needed to be shared with my friend to give the support that was desperately needed.

Why would I even be surprised that Chapter 109 addresses dealing with people that falsely accuse you! 


 1 O God, whom I praise,
       do not remain silent,

 2 for wicked and deceitful men
       have opened their mouths against me;
       they have spoken against me with lying tongues.

 3 With words of hatred they surround me;
       they attack me without cause.

 4 In return for my friendship they accuse me,
       but I am a man of prayer. 

 -------------------
The psalmist continues with several verses of what he wishes would happen to his accuser but then determines (as we should) that God will deal with those that falsely accuse his children.  Our job is to seek him in humility and submit to His sovereignty! Notice that the focus changes from what God should do TO the accuser to what God can and will do THROUGH the accused.
--------------------
21 But you, O Sovereign LORD,
       deal well with me for your name's sake;
       out of the goodness of your love, deliver me.
  
22 For I am poor and needy,
       and my heart is wounded within me. 

 26 Help me, O LORD my God;
       save me in accordance with your love.

 27 Let them know that it is your hand,
       that you, O LORD, have done it.

 28 They may curse, but you will bless;
       when they attack they will be put to shame,
       but your servant will rejoice.

 29 My accusers will be clothed with disgrace
       and wrapped in shame as in a cloak. 

------------------- 
What a relief to know that we do not fight alone!
----------------

 30 With my mouth I will greatly extol the LORD;
       in the great throng I will praise him.

 31 For he stands at the right hand of the needy one,
       to save his life from those who condemn him.


Scripture is so much more than pretty words on a page.  It is living and active and oh, so very TIMELY!

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
Hebrews 4:12 

1 comment:

  1. Oh Pam ~HIS words ('spoken' thru you)comes at a 'perfect-timing' for me too. I thank HIM for continuing to use you with this talent HE so freely gives. Blessing our lives in a mighty way ~lifting us up to the highest ~ TO GOD BE THE GLORY!!!
    Thanks you my special friend, luv ya, pam

    ReplyDelete