Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Psalm 84 - Better is One Day

If you are anything like me, as soon as you begin to read Psalm 84, your heart starts singing a song. I have heard this song many times but this morning I LISTENED to it.

According to my study, I found that the author to this particular psalm is not known. That might be a good thing because we can move from worrying about HIS particular situation to looking at our own. The psalmist is obviously some distance from the the temple court and longs (even aches) to be back there in a place of worship.

When the Israelites were wandering through the desert, the temple (tabernacle) was actually a movable tent and when they would relocate, so would the tabernacle. The Levites (Israelite tribe in charge of the temple) would move and reset the temple. They took "GOD" wherever they went and NOTHING was more important than that Holy Place. It was the center of everything. All of the tribes encamped in set positions around it.


Do I take Him with me wherever I go?
Do I take Him to work with me?
Do I take Him on my social excursions?
Do I take Him to my family gatherings?

As I listened to this song with new ears today, I thought:
"That is where I want to be. I want to be wherever God is.
I want to be in the center God's presence because
NOTHING in this world compares to that"

I spend wasted energy chasing after things I think will make me happy when only ONE thing will bring about true happiness and peace.
BEING IN THE PRESENCE OF ALMIGHTY GOD.

2 My soul yearns, even faints,
for the courts of the LORD;
my heart and my flesh cry out
for the living God.







No comments:

Post a Comment