Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Psalm 34 - The Broken-hearted

The Lord is close to the broken-hearted
And saves those who are crushed in spirit.
(vs.18)

Breakfast this morning was like no breakfast I ever remember. In yesterday’s blog, I said that Dave and Rosie were going to tell us how this inn came to be. Well, I still do not know the answer to that; but, Rosie did share her testimony with us over homemade quiche and muffins.

Rosie and Dave shared how they had endured storms throughout their lives and how God had remained faithful throughout the storms. She shared how their 5 year old daughter was diagnosed with cancer and they had to endure the agony of watching her undergo surgery to remove the mass and the months of chemotherapy and radiation treatments on their precious daughter. This daughter did conquer the disease that afflicted her body but Rosie described how this same daughter was sexually abused by people that the family had taken in and mentored in their Christian camp. She continued to describe how this daughter went through a period of rebellion complete with deep depression, suicide attempts, and self-mutilation. During the period of time that “Whitney” was beginning to heal from the abuse, she was involved in a fatal car accident and taken on to be with the Lord. This was not the only tragedy that this precious family would endure. Two other children were also involved in vehicle accidents that would leave lasting scars.

I sat at the table next to Dave as his knee bounced and he fought back tears and knowing that there was a pain that this couple had endured that would always be at the forefront of their thoughts. But, I also witnessed the faith and confidence they had that the Lord was using every bit of their grief for a greater cause.

Rosie shared three lessons she has learned that she called her SOS when troubles arise:
S – Be STILL
O – Be OBEDIENT
S - Be STEADFAST

I thought I was coming here for a “vacation”! I came here to be ministered to. Thank you Dave and Rosie!



A righteous man may have many troubles,
But the Lord is close to the broken-hearted.
(vs. 19)

No comments:

Post a Comment