Sunday, August 23, 2009

Psalm 49 - Wealth



We are a nation - a world obsessed with wealth! We work and strive to obtain more and more at the expense of our health and our families.

Most of you know that I love my sports and am an avid spectator of the Texas Rangers and the Dallas Cowboys. I watched this week as the Cowboys opened their new stadium - a state of the art showplace. Isn't ironic that the focus of the game was on the stadium and the million dollar scoreboard that seemed to be interfering with the flow of the game. Psalm 49 reminds us of the folly of obsessing ourselves with the attempt to gain and arrogantly display our wealth on earth.

The reality is that one day Mr. Jerry Jones will have to say goodbye to his shrine. He will undoubtedly be long remembered as the architect of such a place but he will still be just as gone!!


16-19 (The Message)
So don't be impressed with those who get rich
and pile up fame and fortune.
They can't take it with them;

fame and fortune all get left behind.
Just when they think they've arrived
and folks praise them because they've made good,
They enter the family burial plot

where they'll never see sunshine again.


Wow! Kind of depressing isn't it? But what it reminds me is I must concentrate on the eternal wealth that is promised me as a believer. I may not ever accomplish anything on this earth that gets a stadium or a boulevard named after me but this one thing I know

....my name is where it counts.
It is written in the Lamb's Book of Life!

No comments:

Post a Comment