Monday, August 17, 2009

Psalm 45 - His Bride

My pastor, Toby Henson, has recently been doing a sermon series on covenant. When he first began the series, Jenna and I had a conversation about the symbolism that is demonstrated at a wedding that goes unrecognized by most witnessing the union.

As I read today's chapter, I was drawn to verse 11:

... the king is enthralled with your beauty,
honor him for He is your Lord. (vs.11)

Reading this, I once again was reminded of the symbolism present in a marriage ceremony.

Picture this:

The groom is standing patiently waiting for the entry of his bride. He hasn't seen her for the entire day and then.....the doors open! He is totally taken back by her appearance. She is more beautiful than anything he has ever seen. He can hardly contain himself because she is his - completely and forever from this moment on. She willingly commits to honor him for the rest of their days and he commits the same to her.

Can you believe that the Creator of the universe views you and me (and all who believe) with the same awe and adoration? He is enthralled with your beauty. He is committed to honoring his covenant promise to us. Counter to our culture, he CAN not and WILL not go back on that covenant.

Honor Him for He is your Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment