Saturday, August 22, 2009

Psalm 48 - Roadblock

Well, you regulars probably noticed that it has been a couple of days since I have posted. There are actually two reasons for that:

1. School is starting. Duty calls and the craziness begins.
2. This chapter has me stumped. I have read it several times and though I understand it, I have come up pretty dry in the application department.

I am sure that this is the first of many roadblocks in my endeavor to complete the entire book of Psalm. But, life is full of roadblocks and if I just stop and throw up my hands, I will never accomplish my goal. So -- I press on!
************************************************************************************

Great is the Lord and most worthy of praise
in the city of God, the most holy mountain.
It is beautiful in its loftiness
The joy of the whole earth (vs. 1-2)

The entire psalm is discussing the sanctity and special favor of the city of Jerusalem. Mount Zion represents a natural protective barrier that exists to separate the nation of Israel from outside enemies that would wish her harm. This chapter that reminds us that just as that mountain is a protection from outside enemies that God protects His chosen people (specifically the nation of Israel). Scripture tells us that in the end days that the whole world will turn against God's chosen nation but this scripture is a reminder that God will never turn his back on her.

As we have heard, so have we seen
In the city of the Lord Almighty
In the city of our God:
God makes her secure forever. (vs. 8)

The same applies to me! God has promised to never leave me nor forsake me - take a quick look at Romans 8:31-39. I am protected forever! He cannot and will not ever go back on that promise!

For this God is our God forever and ever.
He will be our guide even to the end. (v. 14).

No comments:

Post a Comment