Thursday, August 6, 2009

Psalm 35 - It's A Long Hard Road

We are finally home! It was a great adventure but home is a much welcomed sight. Our last day in Lake City, we spent on the biggest adventure of all. We rented a jeep and made a 58 mile trek around Lake City - around and through the mountains. The entire loop took us almost 7 hours. In some places the road was so narrow that only one vehicle could pass at a time and the bottom was far, far away if visible at all.

As I read today's chapter, I did not know how I could apply it to what I was feeling today. But as I thought of our journey around the mountains, it began to come to light.

Our life journey can often be difficult. It sometimes seems like our growth and healing is "slow go" and a bumpy ride and at some points, it may take some perseverance to see it through. Personally, I believe it will be well worth the effort in the long run.

In Psalm 35, David is not having an easy go of it. He is obviously being attacked by those that would wish him harm. His journey is obviously a very rocky road for him.

Contend, O Lord, with those who contend with me;
fight against those who fight against me.
(vs. 1)

The entire chapters continues with David praying that those that are making his life journey difficult will be dealt with.

may their path be dark and slippery,
with the angel of the Lord pursuing them
(v.6)
...may ruin overtake them by surprise --
may the net they hid entangle them.
may they fall into the pit, to their ruin. (v.8)

It doesn't sound to me that David was having a "good day" at all!

I noticed one thing about the people that we passed along the trail. Each and every one willingly offered a wave or a "thanks" or information on what was coming next around the bend in the road. You see, we were all in the this together. We were all fellow mountaineers in similar circumstances -all of us taking a risk. Each one of us had a goal in mind, each one had some rough patches to conquer in order to reach that goal and each one was being extremely careful not to move too fast or make the journey difficult for others.

We are all on this great big terrestrial ball for only a short time. The journey, though well worth it, will not always be an easy one. There are circumstances, situations, and yes, even people that could block our path and some that may even like to see us fall.

I want to encourage you today to stay on this journey. Let us face our rough patches with perseverance - supporting one another, being patient with one another, and even warning others about potential pit-falls around the bend!

...The Lord be exalted,
who delights in the well-being of his servant.
My tongue will speak of your righteousness
and of your praises all day long.
(v. 28)




No comments:

Post a Comment