Sunday, August 16, 2009

Psalm 44 - No Fair!

Last night, I was passing the hours with one eye on the Texas Rangers ballgame, my computer in my lap, and three conversations going on in chatrooms. Our reading today reminds me of two of the conversations .

By the way - "Way to go Rangers!"

The conversations turned to the subject of the "fairness of God" and expressing our anger with God when things do not go as we would like or had planned. I guess we could spend an endless amount of time trying to define the word "FAIR". I have learned that fairness is more or less relative to ME! It tends to be quite selfish in nature!

I feel that what is at the heart of this issue is not only how I perceive God's "fairness" but how I react to my perception of it. People often feel that in some way life (and therefore "God") has cheated them and respond with anger. Anger does not always present the same.

Some of us REBEL -
Some of us RATIONALIZE -
Some of us DENY -
Some of us DISPLACE -
Some of us SUBSTITUTE -
Some of us CONFRONT -
Some of us QUESTION -
Some of us EMBRACE -

Look at the words of Psalm 44: 23 --

Awake, O Lord? Why do you sleep?
Rouse yourself! Do not reject us forever.

Why do you hide your face and forget our misery and oppression?
(v.23)

I can identify with this attitude! I have been angry with God because of MY perceived interpretation of His fairness! He and I have had several heart to hearts on this issue!

Last night, one of my fellow 'chatters' made this comment and I think it sums up what I am trying to say. It went something like this:

To look for someone to blame or be angry with is saying that I do NOT believe that God is in complete control!

So true! .... and what insight for someone that has suffered personal loss so recently! It took me about 15 years to come up with this in my situation! The thing I had to learn is that anger has a purpose. God would not have given me this emotion if it did not serve a purpose. Because I was able to work through my anger-issue with God, I have developed a different perception of the "fairness of God"!

And this is what I have come to know!
Life is seldom FAIR.
God is always FAIR!

No comments:

Post a Comment