Two things stand out to me :
1. The danger of a loose tongue -
v.2 -3 - Everyone lies to his neighbor; their flattering lips speak with deception. May the Lord cut off all flattering lips and every boastful tongue!
I need to remind myself of a quote that was often stated but a teacher I once had -
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
Or the prayer I recently read that said - "Lord, I pray that you place your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth!"
So, today - I skip forward a little to Psalm 19:14 - and make this my prayer!
"May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be pleasing in thy sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer "
2. The promise of a loving God.
vs. 6-7 - And the words of the Lord are flawless, like silver refined in a furnace of clay, purified seven times. O Lord, you will keep us safe and protect us from such people forever.
I am a "worry-wart".... just ask my kids. There are so many promises in scripture where God has promised to "prosper us and not to harm us" (Jer.29:11) and encouraged us to "not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will take care of itself"(Matt 6:34-35) - yet, I worry!
Today, I take up my "worry cross" and I will once again remind myself that He will keep me (and my family) safe and protect us because His Word is flawless.
So... in short!....Today's thought can be summed up as:
Don't worry, just keep your mouth shut!! (Easier said than done!)

No comments:
Post a Comment