Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Psalm 7-The Shovel

"He who digs a hole and scoops it out falls into the pit he has made. The trouble he causes recoils on himself." v. 15-16

Isn't it so true! We often find ourselves in the middle of all kinds of problems of our own creation.

When we first have the idea to "begin digging", it all makes sense. We have a vision - a plan of how this "project" will turn out and the purpose it will serve. We can plainly see how we will all be better off with this little project completed!! It is the solution to everything!! But then..... suddenly, we find ourselves ensnared - swallowed up!

In today's Psalm, David continues to pray for deliverance from those that pursue him - relief from his tormentors. But then, he takes a moment to consider that maybe...just maybe, he shares some responsibility for his plight!

"Was it something I did?" "Am I to blame?" and he is willing to face the consequences of his actions.

"O Lord my God, if I have done this and there is guilt on my hands -- if I have done evil to him who is at peace with me or without cause have robbed my foe -- then let my enemy pursue and overtake me; let him trample my life to the ground and make me sleep in the dust."

Isn't amazing how it seems like everyone is always against ME and I am the one that is suffering- I am the one that is miserable..... then I pause to remember, oh yeah, I created this whole mess, I dug the hole!

So, I now find myself in the bottom of a dark pit! What do I do!

REACH UP!

v. 10, 17 - My shield is God Most High, who saves the upright in heart.. I will give thanks to the Lord because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the Lord Most High.

He is the God of deliverance......even from myself!!

1 comment:

  1. This makes me think about when Beth talked about a verse in I John 3 about God knowing our hearts. Here it is:
    "This then is how we know that we belong to the truth, and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence whenever our hearts condemn us. For God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything."
    I tend to condemn myself quickly and it is so encouraging to know that God is greater than my deceptive heart and will pull me out of that pit even though I dug it myself!
    Thanks for the insights today! Val

    ReplyDelete