Sunday, July 5, 2009

Psalm 5 - Ah! Sweet Rain

It's a gorgeous morning (in my opinion). I came to my front porch to be alone and look and think about the words of Psalm 5. As I stepped, out a nice calm shower was refreshing the air, my grass, the flowers. Ah, sweet rain!

v.1 - Give ear to my words, O Lord, consider my sighing. Listen to my cry for help, my King and my God,for to you I pray. In the morning, O Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning, I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation.

The beginning of Psalm 5 is a laundry list of things that God does not like. I read through each of those traits and thought about what in those words would God be wanting me to see today. I am not surrounded by evil, arrogance, wrongdoers, liars, or deceitful people. What words here could I take and meditate on today?

My mind and heart are filled with events (personal events) that have little or nothing to do with "evil" (except the possibility that the 'great deceiver' delights in seeing the faithful flounder and question their own destiny). What is happening in my world, are events that I cannot fix or control.

The words that speak to ME today begin in vs. 11 and they are the words of reassurance and hope. Words that tell us that after the rain, there is renewal and refreshment.

vs. 11 - But all who take refuge in You be GLAD; let them sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you. (12) For surely, O Lord, you bless the righteous; you surround them with your favor as with a shield.

Today, I pray for protection over "those" who love the name of the Lord. I pray that they are surrounded with God's favor. I pray that the rain doesn't yield to STORMS but to new growth!


No comments:

Post a Comment