In the margin of my Bible, at the beginning of Chapter 22 is written "Messianic scripture - Matthew 27:46"
Most of you probably are all too familiar with the words that begin this psalm and when you hear them, recognize them as being the words that Christ cried out from the cross --
"My God, My God why have you forsaken me?" (v.1)
To me it is a little like the chicken/egg dilemma. So which is it? Was David prophesying the events of the crucifixion or was Jesus quoting scripture from the cross.
I can't say that I can answer this but I don't know why both cannot be true.
You see, God knows and sees all. He sees our future (prophesy) and he brings to mind lessons from the past to help us through trying times.
I think David was speaking for himself and felt totally threatened and exhausted by the pursuit of his enemies (both physically and emotionally). His description of his anquish in vs. 14-18 suggest that he had suffered for a very long time.
And, there is no doubt that Christ was more than familiar with the psalm of David and these words came to mind while in his agony. How many times has that happened? The "words you have hidden in (your) heart" come to the surface just in time to be the message you need to hear for the day. Frequently, for me, the message I need comes in the words of a favorite song.
I am thankful for the lessons that I have learned from not only my own experience but from studying the scriptures. Both have helped me through some pretty rough patches of my own!
It is really hard for me to come up with a "feel good" message from today's chapter. It is a reminder that in this world there will be human suffering but through that suffering is also that sacrifice - the crucifixion of Christ - that guaranteed that you and I have an eternity.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment